About the Program
RYEP covers the participant costs, including visa support, international travel, health insurance, ground transportation, lodging and meals in the U.S.
About the Program
The program will focus on environmental sustainability – which considers how individual, community, corporate, and global practices can better contribute to the health and sustainability of the world. Russian participants ages 18-20 will learn more about environmental sustainability, gain exposure to successful youth-led environmental and community service projects, and examine the topics of community engagement and citizen participation.
The exchange begins with a 12-day Environmental Sustainability Academy on a renowned U.S. university campus. The Academy will develop participants’ understanding of concepts related to environmental sustainability as well as communication, critical thinking, and project planning skills. Participants will then travel to Maine to take part in environmental community service activities and visit local environmental organizations, colleges, and sustainable businesses to observe their operations and become familiar with green projects.
The program will conclude with potential cultural time in major U.S. cities.
*Please note that travel to and around the United States in the summer of 2021 is dependent on the situation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic and travel restrictions.
The Russia Youth Environmental Program (RYEP) is designed to foster greater understanding between the people of the United States and Russia and provide Russian youth with an international forum to discuss environmental issues.
As a participant in the RYEP program, you will:
- Participate in pre-departure online classwork which will introduce you to the program, host organization, your fellow RYEP peers, the meaning of environmental sustainability and you will receive guidance on how to prepare for travel to the United States.
- Travel to the United States for a four-week program consisting of training seminars, interactive group activities, site visits, and community service opportunities related to environmental sustainability. The program will include cultural activities and a two week homestay with an American so you can learn about the culture and everyday life of the American people.
- Return to Russia to implement a project that focuses on improving the environmental sustainability in your community, educating others and inspiring them to act.
- Attend a RYEP alumni conference in Russia to present on your project and network with Russian experts and your RYEP peers at the end of the year.
Are you eligible for the program?
Application for participation in RYEP is open to candidates who meet the following requirements:
- 18 – 20 years old (applicants must be 18 years of age by July 1, 2021).
- A citizen of the Russian Federation.
- Residing in Russia at the time of this application process and through the end of 2021.
- Involved in environmental projects in the local community and willing to participate in or implement ecological community projects upon returning to Russia.
- Proficient in spoken and written English.
- Eligible to receive a U.S. J-1 exchange visitor visa.
- Available to travel to the United States for 4 weeks between July-September 2021.
- Willing to live with a host family in the United States.
- Committed to returning to Russia immediately after completion of the program.
How to Apply?
To apply for RYEP, please, fill out the online application form in English by clicking the button below and attach the following items to your application:
1. Two recommendation letters:
- One letter from a teacher or university professor who is familiar with your academic achievements;
- One letter from an employer/supervisor or colleague/volunteer project manager, who is familiar with your community activities and leadership experience;
Recommendation letters can be in either English or in Russian and must include the recommender’s e-mail address and cell phone for a reference check.
2. A scanned copy of your high school or university grades in Russian (only grade sheets or transcript verified by a school or university stamp will be accepted).
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Participants will be chosen through a multi-level, highly independent, selection process. Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee. Semi-finalists will be invited to participate in an interview with international exchange program experts.
In light of the ongoing global pandemic, RYEP will be conducted as a virtual exchange in 2021.
Dear applicants, please know that the interviews have been completed and the final participant selection will be announced in the middle of May. We thank you for your patience and ask you to wait until the end of the selection process. We will keep you informed of all the news and updates.